Tuesday, August 7, 2012

CAPTAIN MARVEL 2012

Major Carol Danvers made her debut in MARVEL SUPER HEROES #13 back in 1968. She was an officer in the United States Air Force when she met Dr. Walter Lawson, who we all know was Captain Marvel. She was caught in an explosion of  a Psyche-Magnetron and gained her powers from it, becoming a human-Kree hybrid, From then on, except for a brief stint as Binary, she was known as Ms. Marvel. She was even kidnapped by Immortus’ son Marcus and conceived a version of Marcus. Following the original Captain Marvel’s resurrection and eventual demise during the AVENGERS VS. X-MEN storyline, Carol Danvers assumes the mantle of Captain Marvel. Her new adventures are by Kelly Sue DeConnick and artist Dexter Soy.

We start out with her and Captain America fighting the Absorbing Man. Defeating him as a team, they end up back at Avengers Mansion where Cap tries to convince her to change her name to Captain Marvel. Then we get a sparring match between her and Spider-Man. Our heroine takes a break, goes off into space and reminisces about her origin and one of her mentors, test pilot Helen Cobb. She decides to take the name, returns to Earth, and visits her former Woman Magazine editor Tracy Burke. It seems that Burke is suffering with cancer and having a bad time with the Chemotherapy treatments. Burke points out an article in the Daily Bugle regarding Helen Cobb, which leads to another flashback about Danvers meeting Cobb.

The issue ends with Captain Marvel paying her last respects to her mentor(we assume) at Forest Lawn Cemetery.

I am a HUGE fan of the Carol Danvers character. I fell in love with her Ms. Marvel the first time I saw Dave Cockrum illustrate her. I have been with her through good days and bad days. The rape by her own son, her exploits as binary, her drinking binges, etc.

But I won’t be a party to this. I did a little research on who Kelley Sue DeConnick is. First, she is married to Matt Fraction, who I really like as a writer. She helps translate Manga into English. Her works include BLACK CAT, KARE FIRST LOVE, RESCUE, EBEN AND STELLA and others. I have to admit that I have never read any of those titles and after reading this, I probably won’t. This is a god-awful mess and a half.

Let’s start at the beginning and examine some oif the dialogue. During the battle with the Absorbing Man, she throws her cloak over him. Absorbing Man: “Just like a woman…she don’t know when to let go!” When he is knocked out, she responds: “Three seconds in a museum and you’re sound asleep. Why am I not surprised?” At this point, I am 8 pages into the book and I am surprised I’M NOT ASLEEP. Danvers and Spider Man meet up and he comments about her hair style (this weird looking Mohawk thing). “Tread carefully. I could vaporize you on a whim.” A sparring match follows with repeated references to Spider Man not wanting to be vaporized.

From there, it gets confusing. We get the back-story and the reference to Helen Cobb. Then we are reintroduced to long time Marvel character Tracy Burke. Think of her as the female Jonah Jameson. Apparently she is suffering from cancer and undergoing Chemotherapy. “90 degrees out and I’m freezing my balls off.”

Did I just read that? Yeah…I did. And it is rated T+. Just had to check that out.

Carol: “You don’t have balls, Tracy”

Tracy: “You don’t know that.”

Then there is the brief article on Helen Cobb that leads to a meeting some time ago and a challenge which, I assume, never got answered. At least, there is a funeral and our heroine is off in space. I assume the funeral is Helen Cobb’s. Either that or Burke died from frozen balls!

So this is how the dialogue goes throughout the entire book. Actually, those were both the bright spots and the worst spots. Dexter Soy’s art is like such bad art school painting…the stuff everyone tells you is wonderful and really is awful. It’s a third rate Alex Maleev at best. If the book looked like the cover by Ed McGuiness, I could possible get through this book. But take an awful story with equally awful art and I end it here.

My bet? This book tanks out at 6 issues, maybe 10. It all depends on how badly Marvel Now needs titles.


No comments:

Post a Comment